Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts on NAMM 2009

For those who aren't from Southern California, the NAMM show is a gigantic music trade show held every year in Anaheim. This was my first trip in a few years and I walked away very impressed with the so called "third tier" saxophones. I don't know what percentage of the market Selmer (Paris), and Yamaha represent but it is my anecdotal experience that it's huge. As much as I love my Yamaha saxes, I am a strong believer in competition and it's great that serious attempts are being made to produce great horns. I was particuraly impressed with the curved Sopranos that International Woodwind had. With an even and round tone, and most importantly, modern keywork they are a great option for someone looking for a unique look and sound, without breaking the bank. Other highlights were the new Phoenix Custom Z from Yamaha, the Selmer "Bird Editions" Flamingo, etc, P. Mauriat Saxophones, and a Kenny G branded horn. Please enjoy the video of myself trying to get a sound on the tiny, tiny, Soprillo Saxophone, as well as the G-man himself.





No comments: